Back to News and Updates

Fire rips through Carnegie Road Electrical Unit

Live updates as fire rips through Carnegie Road electrical unit

Latest updates as Old Swan and Tuebrook residents are being told to keep windows and doors closed as firefighters continue to tackle a blaze at an electrical unit on Carnegie Road.

On arrival at Lister Drive Grid Substation crews found what Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service termed “a large grid battery system container” well alight just before 1am.

Five fire engines were sent to the scene of the blaze not far from Lister Drive in Tuebrook.

As of 8.40am two fire appliances remained.

Residents say they heard an explosion and one said: “My house shook.”

A Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “Due to smoke from the incident, residents are asked to keep their doors and windows closed and people are advised to avoid the area if possible.

“Anyone with existing medical conditions should keep medicines nearby and call NHS 111 if ill effects occur.”

Road closures were put in place and police urged people to find an alternative route. They have now been lifted.

If safe to do so contact if you are affected by the incident.